Harm Reduction Counseling
Most of us throughout our lifetime engage in use of drugs or alcohol, as humans have done for centuries. However, for some of use, our use of drugs or alcohol takes an unhealthy turn. Harm reduction counseling can help you to tailor your own goals (focused on abstinence from drugs and alcohol or safer use of drugs and alcohol) and increase your mental, emotional, and physical well-being in the process.
Signs of unhealthy or harmful drug and alcohol use include the following, among others:
- Feeling the need to use the drug regularly, which can be daily or multiple times a day
- Having intense urges for the drug
- Over time, needing more of the drug to get the same effect
- Making certain that you maintain a supply of the drug
- Not meeting obligations and work responsibilities
- Doing things you wouldn’t normally do to get the drug, such as stealing
- Focusing more and more time and energy on getting and using the drug
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when not using the drug
- Failed attempts to quit using the drug
If you can relate to any of the above symptoms or behaviors, it may be time to consider addiction counseling.
As a psychologist who specializes in working with substance users, I will address your concerns and together we’ll structure the time and content of your ongoing recovery.
I believe there are many paths to health and will meet you where you are at on your journey towards a healthier relationship with drugs or alcohol, whatever form that may take. Contact me today for a free consultation.